Friday Walks have returned!
The Sacramento Valley Chapter holds Friday Walks to collect seeds and data, identify plants and their preferred habitats, take photographs, and have fun! John Schmidt leads each walk and provides information about the plants we find. Seeds are collected during our walks only when needed by the chapter’s Elderberry Farms Native Plant Nursery, which propagates and grows plants to be sold at upcoming plant sales.
Where and When
We meet at 9:15 a.m. and walk for approximately 3 hours. Our destination changes each week, depending on Elderberry Farms’ needs and the group’s interests, but all walks take place within a short drive of the Sacramento area. Upcoming walks are listed on this page by the Tuesday before a walk. Occasionally, a walk will be scheduled 2 weeks ahead of time.
What to Bring
When joining a walk, be sure to wear sturdy walking shoes and bring water, snacks, a hat, and layered protection. A walking stick might also be helpful.
If you are unvaccinated, we ask that you also wear a mask and maintain a 6-foot distance.
Walks are held unless there is heavy rain. Cancellation notices are posted by 7 p.m. on Thursday evening.
Places We Walk
Below are links to general information about the locations we visit. Specific information about where to meet is provided when you click on Event Detail for a specific walk under Upcoming Walks on this page.
Along the American River:
- El Manto access at Rossmoor Bar
- Lower Sunrise
- River Bend Park
- Sailor Bar
- Snipes Pershing Ravine Trail
- Upper Sailor Bar
- Upper Sunrise, William Pond
Around Folsom Lake and Beyond:
Liability Waiver and Participant Limits
After an 18-month hiatus from Friday Walks, we are happy to be able to offer them again. To gather safely, however, we need to follow some new rules.
- You must sign an Electronic Liability Waiver in advance of joining SacValley Chapter Friday Walks. Signing an Electronic Liability Waiver is a permanent change required statewide by the California Native Plant Society. Please note that signing the waiver for SacValley Chapter Friday Walks applies only to our chapter’s Friday Walks and does not cover SacValley Chapter Field Trips or any events or field trips offered by other CNPS chapters. Once you have signed the SacValley Chapter Friday Walks waiver, it is valid through the end of the current calendar year.
- For now, a limited number of participants can join each Friday Walk. The limit is currently 15 participants and one leader. During this initial restart, only four new participants can sign up for each walk (if you have signed up for a Friday Walk at any point after January 1, 2013, you are not considered a new participant).